Here are some good rules of thumb to help you select the correct filler metal:
1. 4043 is a good general filler metal for most aluminum applications. Remember 2xxx and 7xxx series aluminum is generally not recommended if the application requires welding.
2. 5356 is used for 5xxx series aluminum and is generally preferred if the finished piece will be anodized.
3. ER70S-6 is generally used for mild steel welding.
4. ER70S-2 is highly recommended for welding 4130 chrome moly tubing in many applications.
5. ER80S-D2 is recommended for welding 4130 chrome moly tubing if a higher strength, less ductile weld is required. If your weld will be heat treated to obtain optimum strength, then use a filler metal which matches the chemistry of your tubing, which neither 70S-2 nor 80S-D2 wires do.
6. Generally speaking, use a 1/16" diameter filler rod for applications where the material is 1/8" and less. Use a 3/32" diameter rod for 1/8" and thicker.
We offer you high quality Filler Rod in affordable quantities packaged to keep your Filler Rod fresh and contaminant free.
All Filler Rod is packaged in 2 lb. increments. Special requests please call us at 800-872-9353
Free Shipping on all orders of $35 or more!